Sunday 4 January 2009

The eagle-eyed will notice I'm in catch-up mode...

San Francisco is lovely. Even the Holiday Inn is pretty damn nice. The sealions honking at pier 39 are lovely. The fine and plentiful seafood is lovely. The cocktails are lovely. The views from the municipal pier and the Coit Tower are lovely. The public transport is charmingly various but seems to work. The incessant Obama posters let you know you are in friendly territory. You get the idea.

We went to Alcatraz, where the ranger gave an excellent talk about the military history and how it went from a base to a military prison (built by the prisoners) to a federal penitentiary (bought for $1 and an agreement to continue doing the army's laundry). The SF Museum of Modern Art and the De Young were both sensational - like the best museums in London only a more manageable size. Travellers wrestling with US portion sizes should also note that the museum cafes serve great salads and healthier-than-usual sandwiches. I would happily return to San Fran tomorrow.

So my first trip to the USA was a great success (despite my best attempts to sabotage it before it started by turning off the alarm in my sleep owing to a heavy cold... yes, we still made the flight). It made me realise very concretely what I have formerly known academically but failed to practice - you can't generalise about America or Americans. I can't imagine two more different places that Vegas and San Fran. The only thing they had in common - and I say this in all sincerity - is really excellent lemonade. None of the fizzy crap that passes for lemonade over here. And on that note I must continue my catch-up...

No comments: